Thomas S. Schneidau
Mr. Schneidau graduated cum laude in 2010 from Louisiana State University’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center, where he was selected for the Wex S. Malone American Inn of Court and was a published member of the Louisiana Law Review. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Schneidau received his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Loyola University Chicago, where he double majored in Philosophy and Theology. At Loyola, he was inducted into The Phi Beta Kappa Society.
Mr. Schneidau resides in Slidell, Louisiana with his wife and five children.
PRACTICE & ADMISSIONS
In healthcare matters–
- He provides healthcare professionals with representation in matters before the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, the Louisiana State Board of Nursing, the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners, and the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy.
- He assists clients in all manner of provider contracting (g., employment agreements, management agreements, sales, leasing).
- He offers guidance to providers on issues related to compliance, audits, and fraud and abuse, including payment issues.
- He provides counsel on insurance coverage issues.
- He represents providers in practice-related litigation.
In local government/public entity matters–
- He assists clients with their obligations under the Public Records Act and the Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics.
- He provides counsel with regard to matters before the Judiciary Commission of Louisiana.
- He serves as trustee and bond counsel for municipal bond issuances.
- He represents law enforcement officials in civil rights litigation.
In other matters–
Mr. Schneidau assists individuals and entities on a wide range of transactional issues including business formation and development matters. He also has substantial experience in rendering title opinions in connection with the drilling of oil and gas wells.
Mr. Schneidau has provided representation in litigation involving matters as varied as Chinese drywall disputes, copyright infringement claims, hurricane damages, the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, contested succession claims, contract disputes, and False Claims Act claims. Mr. Schneidau has briefed matters in the Louisiana Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, among other courts, and he has successfully argued matters before Louisiana district courts from New Orleans to Shreveport.
- Barnett v. La. Med. Mut. Ins. Co., 248 So. 3d 594 (La. App. 2 Cir. 05/23/18), writ denied, 253 So. 3d 154 (La. 09/28/18)
- Gates v. Strain, 885 F. 3d 874 (5th 2018), cert. denied, 2019 U.S. LEXIS 1209 (2019)
- Davis v. Strain, 676 Fed. Appx. 285 (5th Cir. 2017)
- Silver Dream, L.L.C. v. 3MC, Inc., 519 Fed. Appx. 844 (5th Cir. 2013)
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Practice Reminder: Honor Thy Contracted Rates, approved for publication in the March 2019 issue of The Central Line (forthcoming)
- The Legal Battle Over Medical Record Rates—At What Cost?, published by the Louisiana Hospital Association in its LHA Impact Lawbrief, Volume 33, No. 6, September 2018.
- Telehealth Wars: How One Group of Providers is Messing with Texas and the Likely Effects, published by the Louisiana Hospital Association in its LHA Impact Lawbrief, Volume 31, No. 3, April 2016, also available at https://www.lammico.com/article/telehealth-wars.
- Co-Management Agreements: Increasing Quality and Accountability in a Fluid Healthcare Environment, published by the Louisiana Hospital Association in its LHA Impact Lawbrief, Volume 30, No. 6, August/September 2015.
- Be Careful What You Say…And How You Say It: The Advertising Provision in La. R.S. 37:1285 Every Physician Needs to Know, published by LAMMICO on January 28, 2015, available (under revised title) at https://www.lammico.com/article/bme-punish-doctors.
- Legal Issues Connected to Ebola in the U.S., published by LAMMICO in a four-part series (November 20 and 26, 2014; December 4 and 10, 2014), available in full at https://www.millinglaw.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4950/2016/12/LegalIssuesConnectedtoEBOLAintheUnitedStates.pdf (with Normand Pizza, Esq., Andrew Capitelli, Esq. and Lisa Dutruch, R.N., B.S.N.).
- Mental Health Challenges in the Emergency Department, presented at the Louisiana Hospital Association’s 25th Annual Health Law Symposium, November 6, 2014. (with Andrew Capitelli, Esq., Dr. Charles Preston and Angel Poche, R.N.).
- When to Disclose What to Whom: PPACA’s Reporting and Repayment Provisions, presented at the Louisiana Hospital Association’s 23rd Annual Health Law Symposium, November 8, 2012.
- Favorable Termination After Freedom: Why Heck’s Rule Should Reign, Within Reason, 70 La. L. Rev. 647 (2010).
• Federal Bar AssociationTreasurer, Health Law Section
• Louisiana Society of Hospital Attorneys: Board of Directors, New Orleans District
November 2015-November 2017
• St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church, Slidell, Louisiana: Finance Council
June 2015-August 2018
• Pope John Paul II Catholic High School, Slidell, Louisiana: School Advisory Board Member 2013-2014 term
• Woman’s New Life Center, Metairie, Louisiana: Born to Run Planning Committee
2012 and 2013 events
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- 22nd JDC Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Louisiana Society of Hospital Attorneys